More explosions

The Geara Doga and Jagd Doga decals still haven’t come, I am starting to get worried. But in the mean time I started to work on the 2nd explosion of the diorama. This explosion is larger and more volatile than the first one so I wanted something brighter and more impressive. Studying odokevyo’s work I surmised that he was using something like paper mache. So the first thing I tried was to make tissue and paper mache balls using a balloon as a base. Once a day passed and they were dry I popped the balloon and started to cut up and thin out the walls of the tissue ball (the paper one was just too thick). Continue reading


Explosion follow up

Painted the explosions with clear yellow, clear red, dark orange, dark brown, and black. Following the designs of odokevyo and various pictures of real life explosions I tried to shade them in an appropriate way. For the most part I am pretty happy with the look of the paint job. Unfortunately after seeing how it illuminates I am starting to doubt this being the method odokevyo actually uses. It lights up fairly fine but you can see the inner veins of the polyester which is very different from odokevyo’s explosions you can see here. Continue reading


Last bit of uncertainty

This memorial weekend I basically stepped away from gunpla partly because I wanted a break and partly because I had to let some stuff dry and man they took a long time to dry.

For a long time I have wanted to do a battle diorama and when I got the chance to do one I wanted to add explosions to it. Explosions in gunpla dioramas are rare and combining explosions and LEDs are so rare I have only seen one modeler ever do it. Frankly the illuminated explosions of the Korean modeler (I think his name is odokevyo) I am referencing are so amazing that they are the reason why I decided I wanted to add LEDs to this diorama at all. From looking at explosion tutorials and from the pictures he has posted I came up with an idea on what materials to use and how to use them. Continue reading



The most important point of advice I would give someone who is new to dioramas and wants to make a great looking one is to layer. One of the most popular types of diorama when it comes to gunpla is of a grassy forest or rocky type area and most of the time the grass and the foliage looks flat and unrealistic. The problem is that just a single coat of flock is added to a plain base. I have seen videos of professional modelers do just that and make amazing pieces of work but unless you are a pro the results will just look bad. What I suggest is to first detail that base. Add a glue rock/dirt/sand mixture, paint it up, add pastels or pigments, highlight the lights and shadows, basically make it look as good as it would be if no grass was ever going to be on it. That way when you sift the foliage on there will have depth no matter what. It takes some extra work and might seem like it’s pointless but if you are inexperienced in dioramas it will result in better looking work.

Why I bring this up is because I am finished with the Char’s Counter Attack base and I added a extra coat of pastels (this time without mixing it with thinner). A light brown and blue mixture to cool down the highlights while lessening the earthy reddish tone.


Base coloring

The weather cleared up and I managed to prime and flat black coat the base. Once the black was dry I airbrushed some chrome over the mechanical areas. I then took some cheap acrylics hand painted a mixture of grey and yellow to the rock areas and dry brushed a light grey over it. The mechanical parts seemed a bit bare so decals were sporadically applied to it.

I have one of the Tamiya weathering sets but the colors don’t really suit this diorama so instead I shaved off bits of oil pastels. Covered the rocky areas with various coats of browns, and used a dark tone to highlight the shadows. Afterwards I added 2 more dry brush applications, since the pastel tones became pretty dark after top coating it. Still planning to do a bit more to it.