Fin Fix

P3081121

I brainstormed for a while on how to fix the shoulder fin that broke on the MG F91 and tried a few fixes with cement and pla strips, but the result was not only weak but too bulky to work. I realized that repairing the old piece was a lost cause so I decided I should just scratch build a new one, the only problem was the strength of the pegs. So in order to give greater support to the joint I made the fin not only fit into the peg joints but wrap around the entire mounting piece. Since the top fin was the one that broke I didn’t need to worry about hampering its mobility so this worked out perfectly.

P3081125

P3081128

P3081129

P3091137

After getting the measurements right all I needed to do was some sanding to sharpen it and some etching to give it the original’s texture. It’s very stable and once painted should blend in with the others.

P3091138

I also managed to snapfit and clean all the other pieces, and while I wait for the cement/filler in seams to dry I will finish the RG Freedom.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.