Usually when displaying my gunpla I opt for clear action bases and when they aren’t possible I use ones that are completely black, this time though the base I am using isn’t as simple as that.
One of the most distinctive aspects of the MG F91 is that it comes with its own base that is a condensed segment of the Mobile Armor Rafflesia from the end of the movie. Being that it’s so elaborate for a base and that it is of the final enemy of the F91 it’s really hard to not include even though it’s a bit of a pain to work on.
The Rafflesia comes in basically one mold with some bits of it here and there separately. This leads to painting problems as color separation is almost non-existent. It’s just a matter of masking but having to deal with complicated concave shapes and round edges makes it far more difficult then you would expect. The real frustration comes from that it’s a stand and that investing that much effort into a base just doesn’t sit too well with me.
To get around all the curves and such I used a combination of blu tack and masking tape, but even then some hand painting touch ups afterwards was a must.
I also started painting the model itself and decided to try something a little different with the pre shade, I did it in blues. For the Red a pre shade of azure blue and for the white a pre shade of a sky blue (azure and white). The blue was somewhat lost in the red but gave it a good shade none the less, but on the other hand the sky blue gave the white a very nice bluish glow.