When I started this commission I knew that I had about a month but with the melted piece my time was thrown off and on top of that I really underestimated how long it takes to build, paint, and detail a kit.
After building the Qan[T] the amount of time I spent working on these kits went from 2-3 hours a day to somewhere like 6-8 and it was extremely frustrating and exhausting.
The feeling of vexation I received from this is similar to the way I felt about the Sinanju build from last year and the CCA diorama LED’s even further back.
I didn’t have time to take much photos of the completed kits as they came in real hot, basically right after taking these shots I immediately started packing them.
I have a confession to make, I edited the original version of this post after the client received this and was happy with the final product. At the time I was really burnt out from this and felt like I could have done more. A week later though I am feeling much better about everything even though I am still adamant that I will be far more careful when it comes to accepting commissions with time limits.
While doing the Qan [T] I had the urge to paint the small figures that come with MG models especially since the ones included for the 00 Qan[T] are sculpted to resemble Setsuna well. I must admit for the last few MG/PG models I have done I have ignored the pilot figure, they were just too much of a bother to do since I would have to painstakingly hand paint everything. But now I think I am going to paint every one of those from here on out.
the big difference from how I was painting them before is that I am using lacquer this time. I have always been so hesitant to use lacquers outside of airbrushing that I used to use a combination of enamels, acrylic, and markers. But with the lacquers I have the color range, the fast drying, and can do enamel washes all I want.
With this I first started by masking off the body and leaving the base to get painted in the gunmetal that I was painting the Qan[T] inner frame in at the time. Once that was dried I painted the light blue first since as I learned in various art classes years ago “go from light to dark”. I also wanted to use the white plastic as the white found in the figure so I was extra careful applying the blue. Afterwards came the dark blue which I was able to apply over the light blue in certain areas making painting both easier (for example the gloves). Which was then was followed by the gray vest, the skin color, and the black hair. When they were all dried I heavily thinned some black enamel paint and carefully gave the figure a wash so the detailed would come out without the whole thing looking dirty.
Even though the color scheme was great the 00 Raiser build had way too many problems for me to feel satisfied with it so I decided to do another OOB entry for the Summer War, the MG 00 Qan [T]. Continue reading →