When I started this commission I knew that I had about a month but with the melted piece my time was thrown off and on top of that I really underestimated how long it takes to build, paint, and detail a kit.
After building the Qan[T] the amount of time I spent working on these kits went from 2-3 hours a day to somewhere like 6-8 and it was extremely frustrating and exhausting.
The feeling of vexation I received from this is similar to the way I felt about the Sinanju build from last year and the CCA diorama LED’s even further back.
I didn’t have time to take much photos of the completed kits as they came in real hot, basically right after taking these shots I immediately started packing them.
I have a confession to make, I edited the original version of this post after the client received this and was happy with the final product. At the time I was really burnt out from this and felt like I could have done more. A week later though I am feeling much better about everything even though I am still adamant that I will be far more careful when it comes to accepting commissions with time limits.
As I mentioned previously I am making commissions my priority but beyond that for my first commission my client needs 2 builds to be done in a short amount of time so I have been working faster than usual in order to make sure they go as smooth as possible, even with unforeseen complications. Continue reading →
So I finished this guy awhile back but held off from taking final images of him until I got a new camera and finished my other build for the Summer War contest. Even with all the problems this build faced the result still surprisingly looks good.
Since finishing the Char’s Counter Attack diorama I started to work on one of my two Summer War contest entries, a 1/144 00 Raiser. This is for the OOB category so I couldn’t really do much to the model outside of removing seam lines and unfortunately even though this model hides its seams very well it has quite a bit of them. Anyway since I cleaned the nub marks off this kit awhile back I thought this was going to be a nice, quick, and painless custom paint job… you can guess where this is going. Continue reading →
With the Perfect Grade 00 Raiser being my first perfect grade I really didn’t know what to expect. When they said “perfect” I thought they really meant it but if you have put together one you will know that isn’t true. After the success of the rx78-2 diorama I decided to just flat coat the model. So I bought Tamiya compound and was ready to sand down the nubs and make them disappear with the compound. Things didn’t work out that way but the compound has come in handy in other ways that I will discuss in a future post.
Eventually I realized that in order to do this model any justice I would have to paint it (especially since some pieces just weren’t molded in the color they should be). I had experience with acrylic and enamels and wasn’t happy with the outcome of either so I decide to try lacquers. Choosing lacquers was an investment as they are hard to find locally and I had none to start off with. But once I tried them out I instantly knew why all the pros use them.
At first I thought lacquer was popular because of it’s bright and vibrant colors but after I started using it I found that it’s drying time and strength were what really made it such a joy to use. It drys almost instantly making drying time between coats non existent. I don’t have to wait for something to dry to see how the color is going to look or purposely do a very fine coat cause I am unsure of the result. On top of that after 24 hours the strength of the paint easily outclassed enamels and acrylics leaving joints far less likely to be scratched up.
I really did my home work with this one and didn’t just eyeball my thinner ratios. The result was the cleanest and most vibrant paint job I have done eve compared to my most recent work.