I haven’t done a MG in some time and since F91 is my favorite Gundam anime I have been wanting to do the MG for a while, unfortunately though the build was a bit of a mixed bag.
Since the Nu ver. Ka Bandai is moving away from using ABS plastic for their MG inner frames and instead to the plastic they use for their RG inner frames. I was at first a bit disappointed in this as I like the heavy weight of my MG’s but this build really shows off why it’s a smart move on their part. This entire model uses no polycaps and the small joints especially suffer for this. ABS plastic against ABS plastic causes a lot of friction and on small areas it’s enough to break (which if you look at the WIP’s on this it did happen). So if Bandai wants to continue going down the polycap-less route this ABS change is necessary.
My other problem is that the color separation of this kit is really bad. If you want to make it as anime accurate as possible (which I didn’t) you are in for it as the plastic really doesn’t facilitate the builder in achieving the various tiny color changes in the vents or fins at all. On top of that the Rafflesia base is basically just one big block of concave shapes all in red making the masking used to paint it properly taxing and frustrating.
With all this said I still really love this model and its visual design. Even with its problems it does have a full inner frame, It only has 2 seam lines in the whole kit and they are on the weapons, and that they did something different with the base really making this model stand out from the rest. As long as you are careful building and handling it as well as having the skill and or patience to deal with the paint job the F91 will be a good build.
Usually when displaying my gunpla I opt for clear action bases and when they aren’t possible I use ones that are completely black, this time though the base I am using isn’t as simple as that. Continue reading →
I brainstormed for a while on how to fix the shoulder fin that broke on the MG F91 and tried a few fixes with cement and pla strips, but the result was not only weak but too bulky to work. I realized that repairing the old piece was a lost cause so I decided I should just scratch build a new one, the only problem was the strength of the pegs. So in order to give greater support to the joint I made the fin not only fit into the peg joints but wrap around the entire mounting piece. Since the top fin was the one that broke I didn’t need to worry about hampering its mobility so this worked out perfectly. Continue reading →
I’ve managed to finish the RG Freedom’s paint and panel lines and now all that’s left is for the decals from Samuel Decals to come in the mail. While waiting for the decals I decided to start my next build, the MG F91.
Everything started out great, I loved how original and solid the chest piece was and the head-piece while a little loose was still pretty nice. The problems came about when I started the arms. First of all these arms share the same inner frame as the MG Crossbone. Just like the Crossbone the elbows are split in two similarly to old NG models. I personally hate this, the joint is bad and always feels like it weakens the arm.
My dislike of the design aside I had an actual issue arise, unfortunately one of the shoulder fins broke. These very thin parts are made out of a brittle plastic so brittle in fact that the piece broke as I was removing it from the runner.
The F91 is one of the very first non polycap models and because of that the joints can be overly tight, the fin joint is one of those and if I tried to rebuild the fin the joint would be so bad that I either wouldn’t be able to manipulate it or it would quickly break again.
I really hope things start to pick back up again with the legs (even though I have heard some complain about them), cause I really have been looking forward to this model for a long time.